1 (8 ounce) box elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
½ cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth, about 5 minutes. Slowly pour milk into butter-flour mixture while continuously stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Add all the cheddar cheese and ½ cup parmesan to milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Fold macaroni into cheese sauce until coated.
- You can stop here and eat it now, delicious and creamy.
- Or you can spoon this into a casserole dish, top with the remaining ¼ cup of parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of paprika, and bake for 20 minutes at 300.