- 1 pound chicken breasts
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 15 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 9 corn tortillas
- In the liner of the Instant Pot add the chicken broth, diced onion and garlic powder, stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts (sliced horizontally in half if large chicken breasts) in the liquid.
- Pour the can of Fire Roasted tomatoes on top of the chicken, do NOT stir.
- Add the lid and place valve in the Sealing position. Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. After the cooking time expires, allow for Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred. Remove the liquid from the liner of the Instant Pot and clean pot.
Assemble the Enchilada Casserole
- Spray a springform or push pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the 9 tortillas in half. Using 6 halves (3 whole corn tortillas) layer the bottom of the springform/push pan, overlapping when necessary.
- Add ½ of the shredded chicken to the top of the tortillas. Then add 1/3rd of enchilada sauce and 1/3rd of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of 6 tortilla halves, ½ chicken, 1/3rd enchilada sauce, 1/3rd shredded cheese.
- Assemble the final layer of 6 tortilla halves and 1/3rd enchilada sauce. Do not add the final layer of cheese.
- Loosely cover the top of the springform/push pan with foil.
- Add 1 cup of water and a trivet to the liner of the Instant Pot.
- Using a trivet with handles (or silicone sleeve or aluminum foil sling) carefully lower your pan into the pot and placed on the trivet.
- Lock the lid in place with the valve in the Sealing position. Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Once cooking time is up, Quick Release the pressure.
- Carefully lift the pan out of the Instant Pot and remove the foil. Add the remaining cheese.
- Place the pan back into the Instant Pot and add the lid (no need to lock the lid). Let Enchilada Casserole sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt and the casserole to set.
- Serve warm with any suggested toppings: cilantro, guacamole, sour cream, green onions, etc..
Recipe Credit: Make Your Meals